The National Zoological Gardens in Sri Lanka began its operations in 1936. The government took over the 11 acres of land that belonged to a German businessman Jhon Hargenbeck who had been using the area as a holding ground for animals before they were exported to Europe. In 1948 the government acquired more lands and the area was expanded up to 21 acres.
The Dehiwala Zoo had been widely recognized as a tourist attraction since it had a large collection of animals. However, its location in a fast developing suburb of Colombo, has posed a series of constraints that has limited its expansion and upgrading to meet the high standards expected of a modern zoo. Hence the zoo authorities were compelled to seek alternative solutions to the problems. As a result the brainchild for the Pinnawala zoo was born.
HAVE AN INSIGHT OF THE BEAUTIFUL SCENES FROM THE ZOO